Your Career >> Browse Articles >> On The Job/Office Politics

Top 5 Things You Never Discuss at Work

Top 5 Things You Never Discuss at Work

Kristina Summers | DivineCaroline

SSHHH … I am a very lucky individual, meaning that I am fortunate enough to have one of those jobs that I actually enjoy, even look forward too.

I know how rare that can be for young people so I do not say this lightly. When I was hired I can honestly say I was thrilled and looked forward to a long career with an agency. Since that time, I have had some of my idealism dampened, but I continue to look forward to the everyday, anticipating what I will learn while coming to the realization that this job may not be my final resting point.

I have, however, learned a few things on the job these last seven months that will no doubt continue to help me navigate my way through the world of PR for years to come, whether or not this job becomes a long-term career or not. I share these things with you in the hopes that you will perhaps have a slightly smoother path than the one I took through the world of government public affairs.

There are some things you should never talk about at work. There are just some topics that no matter how well intentioned you may be or how close you think you may be to a co-worker, you will lose in the end, and sometimes it can even mean your job. This isn’t rocket science and by no means new, but some people need the refresher.

1. Religion

This should be a no-brainer for most. There is just too much volatility and too many people who will not think twice about arguing ‘till they are blue in the face to convince you just how wrong you are.

2. Politics

Some people can’t even live in the same household and discuss politics, so it makes sense that this should be off limits at work.

3. Personal Finances

Do you really want people to know just how broke you truly are? In my opinion, whether you are wearing designer shoes or scrounging to buy a soda, the only one who needs to know what is in your wallet or bank account is you.

4. Sex Life

I don’t care how hot you think you are, nobody in the office wants to hear about your escapades between the sheets, whether it be your husband or wife or whomever. There is nothing worse than becoming the office slut or player.

You might think you are cool, but I guarantee people are either laughing or disgusted whether they say anything to your face or not. Bragging about your after hours excursions will not gain you any points with the boss or anyone else that actually matters so do yourself a favor and keep mum while within the confines of the daily grind we call work.

5. Personal Medical Maladies

Yes you may have legitimate issues you need to make your supervisor aware of, but that is not the kind of thing I am referring to here. I am talking about the things such as ulcers and migraines and chronic fatigue that may make the powers that be a tad bit nervous about your ability to do your job. Unless your issue seriously compromises your work flow, keep it to yourself.

Are there other taboo topics in the work place? There are certainly many things you don’t learn in college, but after nearly a year in the work force, are there other things we should just know by now? Of course, these are the main ones I have discovered since stepping into the crazy working “real world” of PR.

babylove

• Kareena-kapoor2_max50

fatimah

Great Article! all the things discussed in it are the things we can relate to.

november

As a past assistant manager I all ways liked hearing about what issue or malady each employee was dealing with. It all ways made it easy to create a daily schedule, when I knew who not to count on!

• Ycadi8mnfca4cwsj1ca3zi67ocabp2ab9cauojme0ca0ffpg5ca7hk6vuca0t5m14cawu18f4cagr2wgycagp8eryca8oyq8ecav18xh6ca6k4tblcad8ffwyca15x3dqca2tbllcca9bui8jcardrjm9_max50

nyloe

Great article. Another off-limits topic is personal emotional/psychological issues.

• Kelly2008_max50

kellymccausey

Political discussions really put a damper on several professional relationships for me this year :(

• Me___my_rebel__max50

Lizie

I agree with you 100%! I think we should all just use our common sense...

• Shermel

Bluelily

Personal Medical Maladies stuck me. I find that to be a personal topic, but when fellow co-workers started to whisper behind me about my business I was shocked. You can be discrete as possible, but people will observe you and make their own conclusions.

This is a great article. I had a co-worker who would constantly talk about her many miscarriages. She would keep talking about them especially when I was pregnant and I was so uncomfortable but I had to work with her.

It's one thing if you have made friends at work but in that case, the friend and I would go out to lunch and that's when we would discuss the personal things. It's great to get along with co-workers but it's still a place of business.

KEnglish

I am suprised what then do people talk about I hope not others or is this purely women behavior just curious so far I could not work among women, after so long I though i can but now I am wonder.

• Ila_cute_max50

z03r4

Hi, thanks for the article.
    But I think 5 topics above is not a rare thing topic at my workplace. Hehehe.
    If there is spare time, they always talk about politic, religious, personal finance, etc...

Tinker

I agree that such topics are not for the workplace. I mean, who in there right mind , would want others to know their financial woes? If it's personal, keep it personal!

Wow! We really have not come very far at all, have we? Is this not a free country - hello, has anyone heard of the 1st amendment!! However, I do understand that there are still people in charge/management who, if they did not agree with your point of view or are just plain shallow or old fashioned that it could cost you your job or career. So much for freedom of speech!!

ss192007

I totally agree becaz such topics can create sometime misunderstanding n conflict bet u n coworkers

ToriV

Both sides of the coin!
    I've been FIRED for being too distant & impersonal with my co-workers
    And I became that way because I've been accused of being too OPEN in the past...
    What's a good middle ground? How about an article for "Topics with your co-workers" that will not allow you to seem impersonal and closed off!? But not being the girl who has a TMI problem?!

plogan721

I work in a place where I can discuss any subject, as long as is it not around customers. in the retail world, customers get upset even if your manager want to tell you about a product that just got shipped. I personally stay away from politics, religion, and what I make, simply because that is what my parents taught me, not what the article says.

glennorr3 received the quiz result of "ESTJ", about 5 hours ago.
livana007 received the quiz result of "Your fashion IQ is High", about 14 hours ago.
julyb received the quiz result of "ESTP", 1 day ago.
Mischka received the quiz result of "ISTP", 2 days ago.
karthikashok received the quiz result of "ESTJ", 2 days ago.
yk1055 received the quiz result of "ISFJ", 2 days ago.
believenyourself3 received the quiz result of "ENFJ", 2 days ago.
barbscarbrough received the quiz result of "ESFJ", 4 days ago.