Your Career >> Browse Articles >> Leadership/Management Tips

Your Career >> Browse Articles >> On The Job/Office Politics

5 Tips for Making Office Friendships Work

5 Tips for Making Office Friendships Work

Cheri Swales | Monster Contributing Writer

If you’ve worked with the same company for several years, you’ve probably built many friendships. Some of your coworkers might be close friends, while others are individuals with whom you might share a weekend story on Monday morning. A friendship at work can become a powerful networking tool or a toxic relationship. What works best when you are in a leadership position?

“In general, casual — not close — friendships are preferable in business. Casual ones are safest, but carefully managed close or best ones will also help,” says Dr. Jan Yager, author of Business Protocol. In her survey of 126 human resource managers, 37 percent said they got their current job through someone they knew, and 25 percent said they got their job through a close friend or family member. So close or distant friendships can be a real advantage.

How Do You Make Friendships Work at Work?

To maintain dignity and respect in your leadership position, you need to follow a few important tips.

1. Set Parameters with Close Friends

Sit down and talk with your friend about how you will work together. Make it clear that you do not intend to extend special favors. Also make it clear that your close friend should refer to you the same way other employees do while you are at work. Let your friend know that when you are away from work, you prefer not to discuss work situations involving him.

2. Be Careful Whom You Trust

It is very important to take your time building friendships at work. Watch and see which individual seems to be the person that other employees confide in and who seems to click with whom. It takes time to build trust, so don’t start confiding top secrets to a new person right away. Share small, insignificant confidences at first to test the waters.

Continue reading on the next page →

grace2U

• Craft_for_families_max50

Cathrina

After working in two major job categories, there is one thing I did learn from all this. Conflict of Interest can bite back if one is not careful. It is better to remain in neutral drive than to stay on one shift. This is like looking for peers that match your own style or comfort zone. When working for a company, only use the break time to talk. To much Gossip spoils the whole family and it is not a wise thing to do. On a professional stick to your gut instincts. No one wants to see feud among co-workers. Just being a listener and observer is much safer than choosing who to side with. Attitudes, team building and equal share works best. Have fun building the company not destroying it.

LiliGonzalez

Good article. Finding a mentor at work is really a great thing to do. Especially early in ones career. But it's never too late to find a mentor. They offer great advice and assistance when trouble surfaces. Mentors are a great asset.

Denise

I don't need my best friend at work with me. Because I like to keep business and pleasure separate. Although, there is nothing wrong with enjoying the you do. I hope to find pleasure in doing what do. Because the more I enjoy what I do, the better I do what I do. That is why I like working with people. I can kill two birds with one stone.

• Superwoman_max50

Excelle_Editor

Ann, I agree with you - it's hard to forge both a working professional relationship AND a friendship. I think in order to succeed in the workplace, there are personal things that a colleague just doesn't need to know. But when you get so close to someone you see on a regular basis, it's hard not to want to hang out with them more & consider them a friend. Such a Catch-22!

• Me_max50

EmilyMooney

Good to know for future reference!

• Ann_max50

AnnEvanston

I feel that friendship at work gets messy, especially once you start to promote. Besides, don't you spend enough hours in the day with those people? Find friends outside of work!

annonnymous commented on: "Are Stay-at-Home Moms Regretting Their Choices?", about 18 hours ago.
Brett received the quiz result of "ISTJ", about 18 hours ago.
shalana received the quiz result of "Passionate Partner", about 19 hours ago.
katelicious1 received the quiz result of "You should Get Excited", about 19 hours ago.
nitsirk27d received the quiz result of "You should Get Excited", about 20 hours ago.