Your Career >> Browse Articles >> Career Advancement

Your Career >> Browse Articles >> Find Your First Job

5 Job Hunting Mistakes that Scream "I'm Unprofessional"

5 Job Hunting Mistakes that Scream "I'm Unprofessional"

Peter Vogt | MonsterTRAK Career Coach

In most job-filling situations, the employer has the luxury of choosing from several well-qualified applicants, all of whom could probably do the job. That’s when the little things, like the common but often unrecognized mistakes described here, almost always come into play. Make sure you avoid them, so they don’t cost you a shot at the job.

1. Using a Cutesy Email Address for Correspondence

Example: cutiepie@domain.com, or — far worse — something like sexkitten@domain.com.

You Might Think: It’s a clever, memorable email address everyone will get a kick out of.

The Employer Will Probably Think: I can’t believe someone would actually list this email address on her resume, let alone use it to correspond with me. Will she do the same thing on the job if I hire her? Yikes!

2. Putting a Silly Message on Your Answering Machine

Example: A is for academics, B is for beer — and one of those reasons is why we’re not here. So leave a message, OK?

You Might Think: Mine is the funniest answering machine message this side of the Mississippi. My friends will love it.

The Employer Will Probably Think: Good lord, this person probably lives in Animal House. And I just can’t risk interviewing, let alone hiring, someone like Bluto or Flounder. Sorry, Charlie. Click.

3. Sending Your Resume and Cover Letter Without Proofreading

You Might Think: Everybody makes mistakes, even employers. So if there’s a mistake or two on my resume, no big deal. The employer probably won’t even notice, much less care.

The Employer Will Probably Think: Everybody makes mistakes, even employers. But making more than one minor mistake on a resume or in a cover letter is unacceptable, and often, even one is too many. How do I know this person will proofread the letters he writes to shareholders? What if he someday leaves a zero or two off one of our financial statements? I better put this resume aside and look for someone who’s more accurate and thorough.

4. Winging Your Interviews Instead of Preparing Thoroughly

You Might Think: I’m good at thinking on my feet, and if I get stuck, I’ll just BS my way through. Besides, they can’t expect me to know everything about the company.

The Employer Will Probably Think: This person clearly knows nothing about the company, nor has she made any effort to learn more about us and what we do. She must not really care whether or not she gets the job. I want someone who cares. Oh well, maybe the next person will be better.

5. Failing to Send Thank-You Notes After Interviews

You Might Think: A thank-you note? You’re kidding, right? Do people even do that sort of thing anymore?

The Employer Will Probably Think: This person has no follow-up skills, not to mention common courtesy. He could have at least dropped me a quick email note, like this other person did. I think I’ll invite this candidate for the second round of interviews instead. The other guy must not really want the position.

Related Reads:

wujeep

about 1 month ago

• Beautiful-camera-cute-fashion-girl-favim

bdhappriberan

3 months ago

I did not believe that...my... brothers friend was like they say actualie bringing in money part time from their laptop. . there great aunt has done this for under 18 months and resently cleared the loans on there cottage and bought a new Renault 5 . look at here >>>> www.bay91.com

Goo on your Browser... ... !!!

• 1376511_10151917835127147_481832288_n_max50

catjon

4 months ago

▌▌▌▌▌ I just got paid $7500 working off my computer this month. And if you think that's cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over $8k her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less. This is what I do, ➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨CHECK44.COM
    ▲✔▲✔▲✔Like music on the waters is thy sweet voice to me The more I give to thee, the more I have, for both are infinite.

alib8820

11 months ago

Wonderful.

Share a website with you ,

( http://www.alib88.com/ )

Believe you will love it.

We accept any form of payment.

coverletterpros

over 1 year ago

This is a great post and true. We espouse many of the same ideas on our cover letter and resume business website of www.coverletterpros.com.

I really like #3 on this post. Doing this really shows an employer you do not care enough to take the extra time to review and review your cover letter and resume.

At www.coverletterpros.com we write and specialize in targeted cover letters and resumes. We have the best prices online for the services we offer. Check our out services page at www.coverletterpros.com/services. info@coverletterpros.com

• Profilepic_max50

Melanie_KG

over 1 year ago

Nothing about how to dress? That has to be one of the biggest mistakes. Maybe it is covered in another article though.

grace2U

• Htc-sensation3view_max50

ranacho

I had no idea about the thank you notes! I'm glad I know now!

Tdrmkr

This was VERY helpful. I've always questioned if I should send a thank you e-mail and follow up on interviews.

MJM

You might want to get the name and position of the person who will interview you because that's the person whom you would send a thank-you note.

• Profilepic_max50

AliciaMNichols

Is it alright to email Thank-You notes? I have heard that employers prefer snail mail for Thank-Yous, but email gets there faster. And approximately how long should they be? More than a couple paragraphs?

ABG

Good idea...but my question is...if you don't know who to send the thank you note to, do you ask specifically when you're IN the interview, "Who should I send a thank you note to?" Or should you just wing it and hope you thank the right person?

• P3170473_max50

future1nurse2

I will be beginning my active job search very soon after passing my state boards for a nurse and will remember to send a thank you note after being interviewed. This information is valuable in obtaining employment and the employers appreciate the small gesture of kindness, especially since so few think that it's necessary. A simple" thank you" can go a long way especially if it lands you your dream job. Thanks for the info!

• Garden_max50

wrkngurl8809

this was very helpful

nhultberg

Would you send a thank you note even if you know the interview went bad and you know that you didn't get the job?

Itzy received the quiz result of "Breakfast in Bed", about 4 hours ago.
p3arze gave a thumbs up to The Quiz "Career Personality Test", 1 day ago.
p3arze received the quiz result of "Laidback Lover", 1 day ago.
nyc11211 received the quiz result of "Your cover letter IQ is High", 1 day ago.
p3arze received the quiz result of "You are Somewhat Introverted", 1 day ago.
p3arze received the quiz result of "Natural Leader", 1 day ago.
ameryste received the quiz result of "You are Very Introverted", 1 day ago.
Rahma received the quiz result of "Steady Supporter", 2 days ago.
p3arze received the quiz result of "ISTJ", 2 days ago.