Your Career >> Browse Articles >> Career Changers

Career Goals: One Woman's Schedule for Success

Career Goals: One Woman's Schedule for Success

Renee Weisman | Excelle

Can you schedule your career? Are there specific achievements you need to achieve in your 20s/30s/40s/50s to accomplish your dreams? Yes and no.

After 40 years in business and industry, I accomplished most of what I set out to do in my first and second careers and am now living a new phase as an author and business consultant. The goals I set in my 20s were drastically different from the ones I had in my 40s and are certainly different from where I am today. But if I hadn’t set goals, I am sure I would be looking back with much less satisfaction. More importantly, I am still looking ahead.

When I graduated college at 21, my goal was to become a research scientist, Marie Curie-like. I had visions of working in a laboratory and accomplishing great scientific breakthroughs. So I went into pure research and found it to be enormously BORING for me!

I knew I needed to rethink my priorities and switched gears completely. I became a teacher and chemistry professor, got married, had two children, and went back to school to get an advanced degree as well as teaching certification. I wasn’t sure where I was going next but during these years I had three goals:

1. Stay technically current (hence the degree and university teaching)

2. Enjoy my family (so I worked part-time and juggled my life )

3. Explore as many areas as I could (so I taught different classes every year from “solar energy” to “the universe” to instrumental and analytical chemistry, organic chemistry and physical chemistry).

And I approached 30…

grace2U

• Me_max50

VanessaAWilliams

What a wonderful article, I'm facing that now in my early sixties and there are just so many wonderful possibilities for me to explore and expand on. Thank you, you helped to re-affirm that in my moving forward I can continue at the pace I set for myself.

Vanessa

PGB

This is a very insightful article!

• Book_max50

reneelkw

Bonnie, you are so right. And generally women have a harder time with the planning than men, even though they are great planners for everything else.

• My_picture2_max50

bonnieppi

Thank you for a timely article, Renee. We get stuck in dead-end job because of the lack of planning. As much as I dislike micro-managing (in general), this is one area where we just have to be micro-managers - in our success plan. And when we understand that the plan might change as our lives change, we don't have to stress about those changes.

Thanks, again, for sharing.

Sincerely,
    Bonnie Mahaffey
    Polished Professional Image
    Visit online at www.polishedprofessionalimage.com

• Profilebb_max50

ncrimaldi

Great article! Thanks for sharing your story! As a twentysomething, I put a lot of pressure on myself with my career goals but I think it's good to be reminded that things can change and life can put interesting things in your path.

• Copy_of_kerry_pic_2_max50

kerrysnetwork

These are some great points, the one I like best is every accomplishment should be savored, life is short, enjoy the journey!

Rahma received the quiz result of "Steady Supporter", about 7 hours ago.
p3arze received the quiz result of "ISTJ", about 12 hours ago.
ange827 received the quiz result of "ISTJ", 1 day ago.
Brownbt923 received the quiz result of "Your coworkers are calling you Uptight", 1 day ago.
rbulkley received the quiz result of "ISTJ", 1 day ago.
Brownbt923 received the quiz result of "You could probably cut it as an entrepreneur ", 1 day ago.
Brownbt923 received the quiz result of "Natural Leader", 1 day ago.
Brownbt923 received the quiz result of "ESTJ", 1 day ago.