Your Career >> Browse Articles >> On The Job/Office Politics

10 Tips for Staying Happy at Work

10 Tips for Staying Happy at Work

Beverly West, Monster Contributing Writer

If you find yourself longing for greener work pastures, don’t immediately go looking for the first exit ramp off of your chosen career path. The Balance Team, which specializes in professional- and personal-growth seminars for administrative and executive assistants in Fortune 1000 companies, suggests these 10 tips for staying content at work:

1. Keep Personal Problems Personal:

When you’re preoccupied with personal issues, it’s difficult to concentrate or be happy at work, says Alison Rhodes, a founding partner of The Balance Team. By all means, make sure you have your kids covered in the event of an emergency, but realize that nobody’s personal life is ever going to be completely problem-free. Just as you need to let go of work to enjoy your time at home, it’s important to leave personal worries at home so you can focus and be productive at work.

2. Create an Office Nest:

“You are at your job for at least eight hours a day, which is more time than you probably spend in your bed,” says Jennifer Star, a founding partner of The Balance Team. "Make your space your own, decorate your area as much as your company policy permits, and make yourself as comfortable and relaxed as you can be in your office.

Next Page: Tips 3-5 →

grace2U

Summerspot

Good article. You know when you are not allowed to do these things such as 'Take a Breather' and 'Move Around' it's time to find a new job. Last job I had they had me chained to my desk - was stressful to even get up to use the restroom unless I found my own back up person. And that is just plain wrong and illegal when you are afraid to use the restroom.

• Img_0639_max50

jkaddi

I do all of the above; and I'm still unhappy. I have a great view of a mountain range from my window; I watch wildlife (coyotes, deer and people horseback riding by all the time). Any other suggestions?

• Copy__2__of_mum2_max50

rayoola80

good.
    d

• A320cfmi_air_china_cockpit_max50

MsLang107

EXCELLENT ARTICLE!!!

GREAT JOB!!!

nameo received the quiz result of "ENTP", about 4 hours ago.
Giorgosnyc received the quiz result of "INFP", about 15 hours ago.
RKC2486 received the quiz result of "You might be at risk for burnout", about 19 hours ago.
RKC2486 received the quiz result of "You’re not like a normal American", about 19 hours ago.
RKC2486 received the quiz result of "You are Reactive ", about 19 hours ago.
Qq__20140825214759_max30
qqaiaa7 commented on: "10 Roadblocks on the Road to Happiness", 1 day ago.
Qq__20140825214759_max30
qqaiaa7 commented on: "5 Cover Letters That Worked", 1 day ago.
Qq__20140825214759_max30
qqaiaa7 commented on: "7 Ways to Improve Your Self-Confidence", 1 day ago.