Premium content is for Excelle members only. To continue reading, please sign in or create an account — it's free and takes less than a minute!

Your Career >> Browse Articles >> Career Advancement

Your Career >> Browse Articles >> On The Job/Office Politics

Your Career >> Browse Articles >> Leadership/Management Tips

Your Career >> Browse Articles >> Networking

6 Sloppy Speech Habits to Avoid

68 Comments

You may look good on paper or in your suit, but if you’re looking to nail your big interview, looks aren’t everything. How you sound is often more important. But many job seekers let careless speech habits sink their chances of landing that plum job.

The Bottom Line: You don’t have to study elocution to speak well. Simply slow down, take time to pronounce all the syllables, and leave slang at home.

Companies want job candidates who are well-spoken and articulate, and recruiters won’t represent a job candidate if they don’t match the client’s profile. According to Lori Zelman, vice president of human resources at Strategic Workforce Solutions in New York City, “The people most highly sought after are the ones who are succinct in the explanation of their work experience.”

Here are six common language mistakes and how to keep them from sabotaging your interview or meetings with clients.

#1: Non-Words

• 40618_419450801812_2959774_n_max50

mira526

9 months ago

Google is paying 80$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. Yesterday I bought a top of the range Lancia after having made $9458 this month. Its the most-financialy rewarding I've had. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out www.Pow6.com

babylove

SkegeeDiva

Great article!

The question should be how good is your Spelling? I have never seen grammar spelled that way,with the exception of the formal name, such as Kelsey Grammer (alias Dr. Frazier Crane). :)

• Just_audrey_max50

RedHorse7

lady-poet . . . You hit the nail on the head!! Those are two of my biggest pet peeves. One other is "we found you some money" instead of "we found some money for you". I wasn't lost so you didn't need to find me.

• Dsc01312_max50

Gisela

I agree with the 6 habits. Many times we are excellent employees but nerves betray us and we look bad. Unfortunately, that first impression is that the employer has to get to the second interview.

• Real_new_me_max50

CaroleLotito

I worked with a brilliant (humorless) man who was an uptalker. Made every thought sound like he was a Valley Girl. Very funny actually.

• My_new_shirt_and_my_purple_room_with_a_dirty_mirror_max50

sherrychao

I personally think it is a CONTROL issue on the employers part. If this person is "ignorant" how did they get in for an interview in the first place? I have worked with some "uneducated" people but I wouldn't (which stands for would not) call them "ignorant." At my last job I worked with a bunch of pompous millionaires and I was one of the "ignorant" ones because I happened to shop at Walmart, or my daughter collects disability. They like to make people feel inferior. Not all, but most boss' i've worked for and they all happened to be men.

• My_new_shirt_and_my_purple_room_with_a_dirty_mirror_max50

sherrychao

What if you have a speech impediment? I have worked with people who actually do have speech impediments. What do you do? Do you let the interviewer know?

TradeShowDisplays

I think most of these mistakes happen purely because the interviewee is nervous. I know that I look like an idiot at interviews despite being a decent public speaker, even with prior preparation.

lady_poet

The ignorance of so-called "well-educated" people never ceases to irritate me. How anyone in the professional business world can go through life making the grammatical and speech errors pointed out in this article mystifies me.

My pet peeve: ignorant people who don't understand the difference between "it's" and "its". How stupid when people write down, for example: "The cat washed it's paws." Wrong! Totally wrong, and here's why: "it's" is a contraction for the phrase "it is". The correct way is: "The cat washed its paws", since the word "its" is the possessive form of the pronoun "it".

Another pet peeve regarding ignorant people: when they write down, for example: "Don't loose your keys." Stupid and wrong! The word "loose" (as in "tie a loose knot") rhymes with "goose" - or are some folks out there too uneducated to realize that? The proper spelling in this example is "lose": "Don't lose your car keys."

Such ignorance.

perplexor

The questions asked often are no-brainers, but we cannot be fully honest in our answers. For example: Why do you want to work here? Most of the time, we work for money and benefits, but often we have to come up with some other reason. This is probably the most annoying part of the song and dance we commonly refer to as the interview.

Its amazing how you respond to questions in a interview. I've interviewed many people myself and I know what to look for when the person i'm interviewing answers the question. The problem is when its my time to be interviewed for a new job, it seems I forget exactly what they are looking for!

edvinlopez

The interview process is all a joke! you are lying there and pretend that you want the stupid work and stupid lies on the table and pretend he or she has an idea of hiring someone. 9 times out of 10 races and aptitude never enter the picture.

hepa air purifiers

• Naughty_and_nice_036_max50

kittenpurr

Sometimes....it happens to the best of us; if you should happen to have a moment like this... have a tissue handy, um... I had something stuck in my throat, excuse me.

conradpaige23 received the quiz result of "ISTJ", 2 days ago.
RaeZaret joined the group "Public Safety", 2 days ago.
RaeZaret joined the group "Admin Professionals", 2 days ago.
RaeZaret joined the group "Toastmasters", 2 days ago.
RaeZaret joined the group "Healthcare Executives", 2 days ago.
RaeZaret joined the group "Chicago Area Women", 2 days ago.
RaeZaret joined the group "Womens Press", 2 days ago.
RaeZaret joined the group "Nonprofit Professionals", 2 days ago.
RaeZaret joined the group "Techie Women", 2 days ago.