Your Career >> Browse Articles >> On The Job/Office Politics

Your Career >> Browse Articles >> Leadership/Management Tips

Signs of a Selfish Boss

Signs of a Selfish Boss

Nealeigh Mitchell | Excelle

If you’ve ever worked in an office environment, you’ve probably dealt with some breed of bad boss. Micromanagers, control freaks, and selfish tyrants lurk at all levels of organizations, their destructive powers wreaking havoc in the workplace.

Don’t let a lousy leader knock you off your career ladder. Steer clear of costly consequences by recognizing ways a self-centered boss keeps her subordinates in check.

Clips Your Wings:

Selfish bosses are super sensitive to younger and brighter protégés nipping at their heels. Overeager beavers rarely win a battle with the boss — especially if it’s over sharing the spotlight. So if you find yourself staying late at the office but left out of important meetings, request a chat. That promotion you’ve been waiting for may never come.

Steals Your Work:

Self-centered bosses hate getting eclipsed by their underlings so they hog the glory by taking credit for your work. Sure, your job is to be creative and generate fresh ideas. You’re also there to make your boss look good. But if you’ve singlehandedly saved a project — or four — and still need a nametag, there’s a thief in the ranks.

Feeds You to Wolves:

You relish being the boss’ right-hand woman but unfortunately, there’s an ugly underbelly – you’re always doing the dirty work. Firing employees or taking flak for a bad sales pitch should never land in your lap. Shoulder the responsibility only if it’s a balanced load. You’re there to support your boss, not be her whipping girl.

Leaves You in the Lurch:

You’ve proved yourself and finally get to spearhead a major project. Only your boss gave you half of the vital information and an impossible deadline. Plus, your team isn’t qualified to get the job done. Why would she sabotage her own crew? She might be throwing you under the bus to keep you in your place.

Crashes Your Weekend >>

grace2U

• Loredana_n_mitrea_max50

LoredanaM

This is just perfect for my situation; the only difference is that my boss is younger and doesn's have the managerial skills ( which I have ... i guess unfortunately). I do not understand managers that just don't realise what it MEANS to be a manager!!!
    And at fault are also the companies that do not provide the right training - they just land people on the "job" without realising the consequences ...

I am caught between fighting and just take it! I do have bills to pay ... but I also know there is a market out there and the hope that I will find better is there too!

AshtonWhit

When I first started out after college, I had a terrible boss. It was great that she gave me the chance to get experience but she worked me to the bone. I worked many days past midnight and many weekends during my first two years. The company finally let her go and my next boss was much better. Online Payroll Info

kmullin

I am a natural leader because I care about people and their success. Why be mean when you can be nice, truthful and respectful of others?

ABG

I had to deal with this very thing recently...which is why I'm without a job and fighting for my unemployment benefits. I couldn't take the abuse anymore and fought back...only I said some things I now regret. But she had me backed against the wall. It was fight or flight. I'm in MUCH better spirits now even though I don't have a job than I was when I was that tyrant's scapegoat. This article brought tears to my eyes, it's so true!

• -pix_503_max50

metot

very informative article...

• Kbswcc07_max50

TalentTalks

Working with or for a self-absorbed, and completely off-the-charts lacking in self-awareness person is absolutely horrible. However, not sure that this piece of advice would apply: "If she continues her toxic tyranny, consider reporting her to HR." Unfortunatly, some of these bully types actually run HR...

rfakhan

I wish I had seen it a year ago.. I MISSED ALL THE SIGNS in my boss!!! she gave me a raise when I asked for a promotion. Around the annual review time she tried to put blames on me, made me come to work on weekends and also made me do her dirty work. I was never taken to important meetings for which I had worked painstakingly for weeks!!!
    Thanks to my husband who asked me to document and save all her emails. I took these to HR, who weren't helpful but atleast I made them aware of her antics and hopefully if she does it next time she might get fired. I for one could not work there for a single day longer and left the company.

• Me_max50

AshleyDuffy

What if every time you confront your boss with an issue she literally breaks down in tears until she gets her way? My boss does every one of the things listed and when our small staff realized it and talked about it we became trusting of each other. All she does now is cry and say we are sabotaging her even though the events we put on now are the most successful in the past 23 years. Sigh... If I didn't LOVE the people I work with and my job I would run away haha.

• Picture_5_max160_max50

ideaperson

Love the picture!

Hey, I think I have those shoes ;)

JessW received the quiz result of "ISTJ", about 12 hours ago.
bea1201 received the quiz result of "C+ in Grammar ", about 13 hours ago.
aliharajli20 received the quiz result of "You are Somewhat Introverted", about 13 hours ago.
andreschantal commented on: "Are Stay-at-Home Moms Regretting Their Choices?", about 21 hours ago.
tuowl36 received the quiz result of "INFJ", 1 day ago.
sandylynn received the quiz result of "Ambassador", 1 day ago.
paranoiagirlfriend received the quiz result of "Steady Supporter", 1 day ago.
lsmith received the quiz result of "Amorous Adventurer", 2 days ago.