Your Career >> Browse Articles >> Find Your First Job

Your Career >> Browse Articles >> Interviewing

HR Secrets You Don’t Know About

HR Secrets You Don’t Know About

Hamsa Ramesha | Excelle

Human Resources. A real department of mysteries. Are they your advocate? How do they really decide if you’re right for the job? And why can’t you ever get a straight answer out of them?

A lot goes on behind the closed cubicles of HR. Curious? Take a peek at a few insider secrets about how HR really functions to better understand what you’re dealing with.

Why You Aren’t Getting the Job

What do you do with too many job seekers and too few jobs? Hiring managers have a wide variety of applicants to choose from, but more often than not, they find themselves reading resumes from candidates who don’t even meet the job requirements. Read the job description! If you aren’t hitting everything, you’re wasting your time and the interviewer’s. With a wealth of applicants to choose from, hiring managers are only going to select the best of the best. Meeting the requirements is just the bare minimum. Trust us.

I Spy…

Forget your Facebook profile, that’s so 2009. These days, identity theft is so common that heightened security measures and meticulous processes are a basic standard. There’s a reason why HR runs a background check, asks (and follows up on) multiple references, does drug tests, credit reports, and (of course) Googles you. They really do want to know as much about you as they can. It’s their job!

Next Page: Watch Your Back →

grace2U

ljbn

I do not agree with this passage: "Human Resource departments used to be the backbone of the company, handling everything from firing, hiring, training, and everything in between. And then came the Great Recession. Company downsizing equals outsourcing HR. That means all those HR functions are now the responsibility of third parties, reducing many HR departments to a handful of staff pushing papers and other administrative duties. You think HR has all the power? Think again."

I thought outsourcing HR did the opposite of what was explained above. Rather, outsourcing HR is designed to empower the HR department and shove the "pushing papers and other administrative duties" to the third party so HR could rule the roost with more helpful duties, such as recruiting and retaining the best of the best for the company.

Email4Mel

When I was doing hiring I would give them the opportunity to provide a letter of explanation, if they thought one might be necessary, when they signed the form giving me permission to pull their credit. If the applicant was up front with a situation and it was a plausible explanation then the score was not a factor in my decision. Honesty was a factor though.

• -pix_503_max50

metot

very informative

• Wos_party_101709_max50

DIVA0807

I believe that your credit should not have anything to do with getting a job. Yes check the background whether it is the FBI, or regular police dept. You may not know why this person got behind.They could have identity stolen, marriage issues,lost a job been unemployed and they had to pay real assets,rent, car insurance car pymt..etcc..OBAMA THIS IS DISCRIMINATION

I can only speak for myself, but the only time I wouldn't hire someone for "bad credit" if it was so low that there was no justifiable reason to hire the person. Sub 400 and you're looking at someone who has made serious errors in judgement, and I'd be hesitant to take that risk. That said, it's not the deciding factor, just the swing vote in the decision-making process.

I agree with Ester43. I have bad credit because I have been looking for a job so long!!! We have done what we could, like arranging for lower payments and not buying anything, but still things are not as good as they should be. A new, good-paying job will fix that. Why can't they figure that out? Or ask us what's what?

ester43

that sucks most of us have bad credit but that dose not make us bad come on we are all trying to get better job and if bad credit is the reason for not getting the job.Then that is the company's lost

martinsmm received the quiz result of "Amorous Adventurer", 39 minutes ago.
babystarloves420 received the quiz result of "Laidback Lover", about 4 hours ago.
randyfrancis received the quiz result of "Your Resume is Perfectly Healthy", about 5 hours ago.
coach22 commented on: "Excelle's Top 10 Career Lessons", about 15 hours ago.
coach22 commented on: "Do You Have the Entrepreneurial Mindset?", about 15 hours ago.
madelaine22 received the quiz result of "You’re Fairly Assertive", about 16 hours ago.
coach22 commented on: "5 Ways to Explain a Spotty Work History", about 20 hours ago.
coach22 commented on: "How to Answer Employers' Favorite Interview Questions", about 20 hours ago.
coach22 commented on: "5 Ways to Get a Man to Listen", about 20 hours ago.