Your Career >> Browse Articles >> On The Job/Office Politics

Don't Embarrass Yourself at Work Happy Hour

Don't Embarrass Yourself at Work Happy Hour

Jeff Hindenach | Excelle

At the end of a hellish day, it can be fun to go out and have a few with your favorite coworkers. But drinking with your office mates isn’t like drinking with your friends on the weekend. The same rules just don’t apply.

No matter how laid-back your office may be, your actions always reflect on your professional persona. So what kind of behavior is appropriate? We’ve put together a little work happy hour etiquette guide for you.

Pretend You Are Still at the Office

What happens at happy hour doesn’t necessarily stay at happy hour. You don’t want to be the butt of the office joke the next day, so keep your wits about you when joining your coworkers for drinks. Act like you are still in an office setting, and that all the usual HR rules still apply. This should give you a solid guideline of how to act.

Treat Your Boss Like You’re Still at Work

Just because you’re sharing a pint doesn’t mean you’re now BFFs. Pitching him ideas while he’s trying to enjoy his Pilsner is not going to gain you any brownie points. Chances are he’s not going to remember what you talked about the next day anyway, so why are you trying so hard? As with yourother coworkers, keep the conversation light and superficial.

Next Page: Don’t Overstay Your Welcome →

babylove

My rule is, simply, don't drink with your co-workers. I'll take them out to lunch on a workday, and have been known to do dinners/breakfast too, or meeting up with a crowd for dinner after a conference. Aside from that, my personal time is my own, and I already spend 40-60 hours a week with these folks.

If I'm going drinking it'll be with people who can't ruin my career if I have a martini too many and speak my mind about the boss.

• Picture_6_max160_max50

Maxine21

I stay classy...unless we are doing Kareoke, in which case anything goes :)

• Picture_5_max160_max50

ideaperson

Oh boy, definitely have been a little tipsier than I should have at a few. This being said Happy Hours are a great way to get to know your coworkers outside of the office. Learning about people outside of works builds trust and opens up communication ultimately leading to a more fulfilling work experience.

• Profilepic2_max50

TaniaK

I've definitely overstayed my welcome at many a happy hour. Great post!

This is all great advice... that I break every time I go to happy hour ;)

Brownbt923 received the quiz result of "You could probably cut it as an entrepreneur ", about 3 hours ago.
Brownbt923 received the quiz result of "Natural Leader", about 3 hours ago.
Brownbt923 received the quiz result of "ESTJ", about 3 hours ago.
Lina_max30
LINA05 commented on: "Are Stay-at-Home Moms Regretting Their Choices?", about 13 hours ago.
kmh460 received the quiz result of "Steady Supporter", about 16 hours ago.
KZeig received the quiz result of "ENTJ", about 18 hours ago.
mommy2kdac received the quiz result of "You are Extremely Empathetic", about 20 hours ago.
mommy2kdac received the quiz result of "ENFJ", about 21 hours ago.
mommy2kdac received the quiz result of "You know quite a bit about cooking terms", about 21 hours ago.