Finance >> Browse Articles >> Finances

Finance >> Browse Articles >> Retirement

Finance >> Browse Articles >> Savings

Create Wealth By Thinking Differently About Your Money

Create Wealth By Thinking Differently About Your Money

WomenBloom | DivineCaroline

December 28, 2008

Wealth: abundance of valuable material possessions or resources. —Merriam-Webster Dictionary

While women can be very successful in creating abundance in other parts of our lives, most of us still have a long way to go when it comes to creating that particular abundance called wealth. Some of the reasons for this are external ones and thus harder for us to control. For example, although the wage-earning gulf between men and women has narrowed within the past thirty years, women still don’t earn as much as men. We lose earning traction when we move in and out of the workforce to have children and to take care of parents.

While these external factors undeniably get in the way of women creating wealth, other significant barriers are internal, based on our self-perception. Lois Frankel, author of Nice Girls Don’t Get Rich: 75 Avoidable Mistakes Women Make with Money, points out some of the unconscious psychological barriers that prevent women from becoming wealthy.

Frankel believes there are three main reasons we aren’t creating wealth as we could be: “(1) we don’t envision ourselves getting rich, (2) we are more concerned with playing our social roles in a way that others consider appropriate, and (3) we don’t develop the skills needed to make wise financial decisions.”

With this knowledge in mind, there are three things you can do to start breaking down barriers and start becoming rich.

1. Think rich!

If you’re not thinking rich, then you’re not engaging in behaviors that contribute to getting rich. Ever heard of the law of attraction? It states, “Whatever we think about, we bring about.” Which is why another maxim, “The rich get richer, while the poor get poorer” also rings true. The rich are focused on where to put their money to generate more wealth, while those of us who are not rich are often focused on our lack of money, instead of how to create wealth with what we have. Borrow a page from men in your thinking (who are, as a whole, a wealthier group than women): men tend be more bold with their money and choose to invest it, whereas women tend to think they don’t know enough about investing wisely, so they save money instead. Instead of looking at your money as something either to spend or to save, look at it as something to invest. This one change in attitude about money can help you overcome years of conditioning!

Continue reading on the next page

• Hpim1902_max50

kbtordai

Excellent advice and very informative!

• 11t_max50

Belc

I think this is excellent advice, it does point out a lot of gender differences, but this is good. Women have to start to look out for themselves. This does not eliminate in any way couples that have a great relationship. We should just know whats what.

• Image001_max50

LKprov31

Wow you're really picking on men here... I have a fully functioning and wonderful marriage. Some of these comments apply to me and some don't, my hubby allows me to make big financial decisions and between the two of us, I spend a lot less than him. I guess that's why we decided that I will handle the budget... I agree with some of the other ladies below that women are way more caring, but guess what... This is how God made us! We must not try to play the men's role in this world, we must play the role we where meant to play. We definitely have a lot more ability than what we've been getting credit for, but let's not do the reverse thing and try to take them head on. Thank you for the financial advice on investing rather than saving. :)

• Me_max50

EmilyMooney

Call me old-fashioned; I'm a progressive feminist but I hate this wealthy, materialistic mindset. Yes, I appreciate these ideas to think upon and, dare I say, "invest in," but it's a shame, too. What would women do with this money? What do men do with money? For the most part it goes into fashionable things to show off their wealth. I work for a multi-million dollar non-profit agency that works towards ending hunger and poverty (Heifer International). It angers me that people want to be wealthy and rich. Of course I can understand wanting to be well-off, certainly! But wealthy? But let me say that I do appreciate these ideas presented here, that women primarily worry about taking care of others while men worry about profit. That is true and duly noted. I just... needed to rant.

• Dscf3019_max50

KaraMarie

I must agree with other comments that women take a more caring role in the work place, but you have to look at the bigger picture. Does the money make you happy? I finally decided after 15 + years in the same industry to change my career for a big pay cut to raise my family. We must remember status is not everything and that is the biggest thing that americans need to learn. We put WAY to much emphasis on material possessions like huge gas guzzling cars, and names on labels rather than quality and care for our comminities, schools and people!

I hate to admit it, but a lot of this applies to me. When I was laid off in April, I was more worried about how the owner of the company was going to get by than I was about how I was going to get by.

• Engagement_photo_edited_max50

mzbrown

As a man thinketh in his heart so is he

• Th_mz_5250674_bodyshot_300x400-15_max50

Mossboss

Wealth is more about thinking big,or small. Sometimes you you have to take responsibility for your self and your actions, whatever mountains you are moving take GOD with you and you'll see just how much millionare potential you really have.
    JEHOVAH JIREH!!!! GOD WILL PROVIDE , FOR EVER, he's the cause of all my wildest dreams to materialize all out of thin air, I was young , and I was a caretaker of a child with special needs and overwhelmed with bills, and stack of other things I was going throught, you article really inspired me to mentor to young women who are now facing what I had to go through. A long and lonely road but I made it to the top, and so can they.
    I am a female music engineer and it is basically a male territory but I've overcome that, and I have made a name for myself and soon to dominate photography, and image consultant, because women really get a bad wrap in the music industry, we are not all video girls, and we do have bigger brains than men, we just have to use them.

BOC

What a broad generalization that over looks many points. I, for instance, am successful and wealthy for my age- but some things are just so much more important than money, like my children and family. So I took a pay cut to raise my children in a much better town for them. My father, like many I know, took the approach to care more about wealth than family and as a result I grew up in a city that was unwelcoming to children and I never saw him. Who cares that we had wealth- I would have rather had a dad.

Also, the article points out that women take jobs which help others- which are going good and not doing well. How horrible to insinuate that women shouldn't follow their hearts to help others, but rather follow their pocket book. Why not point out the social dilemmas surrounding the idea that jobs that help people are under paid and viewed as "not doing well". This article is perpetuating a problem and the idea that women need to change and be like men to be "successful." Perhaps men need to change to be more giving instead. Remember that Gaundi was a lawyer could have been very wealthy, but he followed his heart to help humanity instead- how admirable.

• Jane_max50

AJaneChambers

Highlights the importance of teaching our children, and particularly our daughters, about money, finances, investing v. saving, etc. Many of the men v. women statements in the article hold true for my husband and me, but this can change for younger women.

• Karan_s_first_day_at_school-_2004_max50

mydove2001

Hmm that's an eye opener and now maybe I will change the way I think and do what is right.Ofcourse it's not easy but then " slow and steady wins the race"

• Adriana-lima-wallpapers-796_1__max50

Lucky_89

Great article! =)

• Imgp0542_max50

ChicagoConcierge

These are great points that we need applied to paper towels, trivets, kleenex, etc. We tend to forget these attributes and then wonder "why". Keep up the good work!

• California_poppy_max50

Maddie

Good points! And good suggestions of changes to make. With regard to choosing an investment advisor--this is a toughie. Most investment advisors are paid on commission and the amount of money they earn is based on the particular instrument they convince you to put your money in. So this is a big BUYER BEWARE. Most community colleges offer one or two day seminars which will introduce you to the types of investments that are open to you. It's very good to be a little educated before speaking to any investment advisor. And this is one decision that you want to mull over and comparison shop. Meet with more than one advisor, from different companies, and tell them what the others recommended. You will then learn if there is something about a particular recommendation that makes it undesirable for you. I was pitched investing in annuities. I did my homework and not only are annuities inappropriate for someone who still has years left in the work force, but the commission on selling annuities is about the highest that one can make. Also, what I was not told by the "pitcher" is that if I pulled out of the annuity in the first two years, there was a very expensive penalty. I'd advise people to take a class and find someone who has no vested interest in where you invest plus financial expertise to bounce ideas off of. There is little recourse for a bad investment. Best to all.

• Picture_006_max50

Elorraine

What a profound article !! It has gotten me re-thinking the matter of wealth creation.

Amspe7 received the quiz result of "Laidback Lover", about 15 hours ago.
Noctis received the quiz result of "ISTJ", about 23 hours ago.
sertab124 received the quiz result of "Steady Supporter", 1 day ago.
defilippoc received the quiz result of "Your office enemy is The Gossip", 1 day ago.
defilippoc received the quiz result of "Your fashion IQ is Low", 1 day ago.
paigewri received the quiz result of "You should Set a Date", 1 day ago.
conradpaige23 received the quiz result of "ISTJ", 3 days ago.
RaeZaret joined the group "Public Safety", 4 days ago.
RaeZaret joined the group "Admin Professionals", 4 days ago.