Your Life >> Browse Articles >> Fashion + Beauty

Top 7 Ways to Dress Well on a Budget

Top 7 Ways to Dress Well on a Budget

Diana Pemberton-Sikes | FashionForRealWomen.com

November 06, 2008

Like to dress well but don’t have deep pockets? If you arm yourself with a little information, you can “dress to the nines” without going in the red.

Here’s how:

1. Take an inventory of your closet and make a list of things you need. Buying from a list will keep you focused and curb impulse buying.

2. Buy the best quality of clothes that you can afford. They’ll last longer, wear better, and ultimately, save you more money than buying inferior-quality pieces.

3. Buy classic styles. These will stand the test of time and not date you as easily as buying into trends.

4. Opt for mix-and-match separates. If you buy carefully, a little will go a long way. Five well-chosen shirts combined with two pairs of pants will give you ten combinations, for example. Two head-to-toe ensembles that don’t go with anything else will only give you two combinations.

5. Try for a primary color scheme. Build your wardrobe around three to five colors that look good on you. Not only will this allow you more mix-and-match opportunities, it will reduce the number of accessories that you need.

6. Opt for solids over patterns. Solids mix and match more easily and are less easily remembered than prints…which will make you look like you have a lot more clothes than you really do.

7. Buy on sale whenever possible. Join your favorite store’s mailing list to take advantage of “insider” sales notifications. Also frequent the designer “seconds” shops like Loehmann’s, T.J. Maxx, and Frugal Fannies, and make the rounds of the consignment stores in the best part of town. With a little bit of persistence, you can find quality pieces at affordable prices.

Dressing well doesn’t have to cost a fortune. If you take a little time to plan your needs and treat your wardrobe like the investment that it is, you can make a little go a long way. You can also look like you spend a lot of money on your clothes when all you’re really doing is combining a few well-chosen, high-quality pieces.

This article was originally published on Fashionforrealwomen.com.
Diana Pemberton-Sikes is a wardrobe and image consultant and creator of Budget-Friendly Style, a seminar that shows women how to dress with champagne tastes on a beer budget. Visit her online at www.fashionforrealwomen.com.

Quiz:
What’s Your Fashion IQ?

Related Reads:

StevenHord

These were really great information given by you, about dress well on a budget, I hope that many people do like all these information and do appreciate your post, really nice one.

translation service

• Chris_rabel_loving_her_prizes_max50

Miss_Mary_Kay

2090 comments

Always a great reminder that the right clothes, how they fit us, and how we wear them can make us or break us. I'm especially fond of classic pieces with a trendy accessory ~ an inexpensive way to look "current". Don't for get the importance of how you wear your make-up; there is a national stat that offers that women who wear make-up in a professional manner make 42% more on average than women who wear it as if they were heading to a nightclub, and those who wear very little to no make-up at all! It has to do with "perceived value"... how you value yourself will reflect how others in the workplace value you. There are addtional reasons why the way you wear make-up can have a positive or negative reflection; ask me! www.marykay.com/CRabel My services are free to you, as a special "thank you" to Excelle!

• Picture0020_max50

CollegeGrandma

Love the article. It's true that classic pieces in the proper cut for your personal dimensions are really a quality investment. I'm 56 and have been wearing some of my classics that never go out of style for over 30 years because I was fortunate to find good high quality clothing at the time I bought the pieces. It also helps to have some knowledge of stitching so you know if the piece you are buying is quality enough to last.

Sam4325

Great article!
    I'm a thrift shopper, but buying the best quality is first priority along with versatility. Thanks!

Bekah

Great article. A few simple sewing skills will also help with fit. I use a couple of plus resale shop in our metroplex that are known for having brands that I know and trust.
    This is also a good place for accessories. I found a purse strap to replace a torn strap on one of my more expensive purses for $1.50. Occasional garage sales are a good place to.

Stylz4Fun

Great article. My family goes by the rule that "Only a fool pays full price!" Some pieces that I have picked up on a clearance rack 5 years ago, I STILL wear on a weekly basis!!!!

• Cpalmazar_file_photo_for_cv_max50

cezpalmazar

Great article!! I especially agree with Item Nos. 6 and 7.

chef

Thank you for the sound fashion advice I shop online and from catalogs I'm a plus size diva who has a hard time in the store finding clothes in my size, went from a size 22 to a size 18, took five years to lose the weight but i did it! feel more alive with the fashions I find in the catalogs and online.

DinWI

Any time I need some nice business clothes, there's one place I'm guaranteed to go -- Goodwill, baby!!!! I start a new job on Monday, and needed to upgrade from the ill-fitting "exec uniforms" I wore for my last job (at a uniform company). Already having a couple of nice turtlenecks for the cold season in Wisconsin, and a couple of pants, I wanted to throw in a bit more - in order to feel like my choices were huge. 3 pairs of pants and probably 6 turtlenecks later, I was writing out a check for $45! That was less than ONE PIECE my husband had to buy a couple days earlier to attend a company function. I hit Goodwill for all of my fancy dresses too. The nice thing (besides the cost) is that if your taste changes further down the line - you don't feel so guilty not wearing a piece anymore. Chances are, you've gotten your $5.99 worth out of it, and you can feed the cause by donating it back to the store! What a great way to reduce, reuse and recycle! Booyah! I started shopping this way as a teen, and I'm 38, now. I wouldn't be surprised if I was buried in a nice dress -- from Goodwill. :)

• 4x5hermandez_016_max50

ChrisMar

Timeless advice...

• Chicos_julieta_01_max50

JJR

Great article! I'm sharing this to my friends and family.

Thanks,
    JJR

abaogyiram

Thanks for the tips, they will really come in handy next time I go shopping for clothes. Aya

GraceM

Uhoh.... I posted the previous comment thinking that I was reflecting my opinion of the 10 Pieces artcle. This one - 7 ways to Dress Well is a treasure. Thank you! I'll be on your website in 5 minutes :-)

GraceM

The article was great. Very helpful. I do wish that it had not been accompanied by cheap looking clothes, amateurishly cutand pasted! Please!

I think these are great tip! everyone needs budget tip now in days and since I got my lapband a year ago, I am constantly having to but new clothes! I guess thats a good thing??? lol.

coach22 commented on: "Excelle's Top 10 Career Lessons", about 8 hours ago.
coach22 commented on: "Do You Have the Entrepreneurial Mindset?", about 8 hours ago.
madelaine22 received the quiz result of "You’re Fairly Assertive", about 9 hours ago.
coach22 commented on: "5 Ways to Explain a Spotty Work History", about 13 hours ago.
coach22 commented on: "How to Answer Employers' Favorite Interview Questions", about 13 hours ago.
coach22 commented on: "5 Ways to Get a Man to Listen", about 13 hours ago.
coach22 commented on: "7 Office Offenders (And How To Regulate)", about 13 hours ago.
coach22 commented on: "How Your Bosses Astrological Sign Affects You", about 13 hours ago.
coach22 commented on: "5 Friends You Should Have at Work", about 13 hours ago.