Your Life >> Browse Articles >> Fashion + Beauty

10 Essentials Every Woman Should Have in Her Closet

The Budget Fashionista | DivineCaroline

November 21, 2008

How many times have you looked into your closet and thought, “I have nothing to wear.”

If you hear yourself uttering this statement more often than not, you have a dysfunctional closet. It is probably missing several key pieces that allow you to easily transition from one outfit to the next. It’s time to stop the insanity and get a functional closet.

The perfect ten — ten classic pieces that should be in every woman’s wardrobe — is the best remedy to a dysfunctional closet. It’s truly amazing the number of outfits that can be made when these ten items rest in your wardrobe: at least thirty-two different combinations.

Along with your signature item, the majority of your shopping dollars should be spent on classic, well made versions of these items that fit your personal style.

Here are the 10 things you need for a functional closet:

First Essential Item: Black Suit →

Divinecaroline-logo_max200w

Featured Author: DivineCaroline
At DivineCaroline, you’ll be spending time with women who embrace the fact that life isn’t always easy or beautiful or fair. Our dream is to give you a place to come together to express yourselves. What brings you joy. What breaks your heart. Makes you giggle. What pisses you off. Confuses you. Entertains you. What keeps you strong. Check them out here!

• 40618_419450801812_2959774_n_max50

mira526

9 months ago

Google is paying 80$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. Yesterday I bought a top of the range Lancia after having made $9458 this month. Its the most-financialy rewarding I've had. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out www.Pow6.com

• 35_max50

shuntian710

m0ncler cl0thing $110
    cheapest (TOP) N1ke A1r Max, Jordan (1-24) shoes $ 31
    all style of UG~G $ 50
    Nike sh0x (R4, NZ, OZ, TL1, TL2, TL3) $ 31
    T-shirts (Polo, Ed Hardy, Lacoste) $ 22 $ 15Wig
    Handbag (LV, Chanel, Coach, DG, ED Hardy.etc.) $ 30
    Jean~s (True Religion, Ed Hardy, co0gi) $ 30
    Sunglasses (Di0r, Oakey, Coach, Gucci, Armaini) $ 16
    hooded jersey $ 29 $ 16 A new era of belt (ED Hardy / BT) $ 15
    Watch (Rolex) Scarf $ 80 $ 21
    Bikini (Ed Hardy, Polo, Gucci, LV, Christian Audigier, Affliction) $ 15
    monster head earphones
    Accept international bank transfer, credit card,Western Union.
    sale all kinds of world brand shoes, jean~s, t-shirts, bikini, beach
    pants, handbags, wallets, sunglasses, belts, hats, watches etc.

` ╰—┘ 。 ┅★`_、
    │\__╭╭╭╭╭__/│
    │           │
    │           │
    │ ●       ● │
    │≡    o    ≡│
    │           │
    ╰——┬O◤▽◥O┬——╯
       |  o  |
       |╭---╮| ┌┬┬┬┐
    ╞╧╧╧╧══╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╡

• Img_20120318_184434_max50

Gabriellaella23

I need a good trench coat/jacket.

• Chanel_sandal_16_sz_10_max50

weiweizz

(==== http://www.proxy4biz.com
    top Nike air Jordan shoes33$,Air Force 1 33$, Nike dunks SB shoe,Nike Shox shoe. Wholesale Cheap Nike shoes with discount jersey, High quality T-shirts,ED hardy t-shirts,ED Hardy hoodies,ED hardy shoes,ED hardy Jeans,Evisu shoes,GUCCI shoes,LV Handbag,Chanel Handbag

Nike shox(R4,NZ,OZ,TL1,TL2,TL3) $35

Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $35

Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $13

Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30

Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini) $15
    N
    ew era cap $16)
    ==== http://www.proxy4biz.com ====

==== http://www.proxy4biz.com ====

==== http://www.proxy4biz.com ====

Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $18

==== http://www.proxy4biz.com ====

online shoping ! welcome to ((( http://www.proxy4biz.com )))

• 18245200_max50

prada_shoes_outlet

Great!This article is creative,there are a lot of new idea,it gives me inspiration.I think I will also inspired by you and think about more new ideas.

Wow, I need to do some shopping too!

katieancafuchs

All I've got all the great fitting jeans and the sneakers. I need to go shopping!

RR1

Very helpful article. I am substituting tanks for t-shirts. Tanks are more my style and can be worn with the suit, just so long as you do not take your jacket off and by wearing a tank I stay cool enough with a jacket over the tank.

JreamStar

Awesome! I have all of them except for khakis....I can't believe I don't own any khakis...? (Note to self: khakis.)

ShonaSemone

Great advice for me as I try to revamp my closet from college student throwing shirts with jeans to a more sophisticated "grown up" look. Thanks

• Fractal_16_max50

HPG2010

The items are classics, true, but not every woman can or should wear black and white. For example, when I had my colors done I found out that white washes me out but off white (winter white) looks lovely with my skin tone/coloring. The same for black, I use navy instead.

I guess I needs to get to shopping

• New_bw_headshot_1292010_max50

back4morebev

THIS ARTICLE SHOULD BE REQUIRED READING FOR ALL PROFESSIONAL WOMEN! Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft or Old Navy (depending on your budget) have great basic white blouses as well...

• Pic_1_max50

shoshannajames

I thought this article was very helpful.
    I just had to get rid of my last black suit, and am looking for a new one, but it is so hard to find one that is priced right and fits well.

• 018_max50

kimberlit

So sad, the only two things I have are the sneakers and the brown pants. I mean I have some of the others, just not in good repair.

AuraCat received the quiz result of "ISTJ", about 14 hours ago.
weebit0602 received the quiz result of "You should Set a Date", 1 day ago.
msjax06 received the quiz result of "Laidback Lover", 1 day ago.
Siliana received the quiz result of "Steady Supporter", 1 day ago.
NurseDiVa06 received the quiz result of "Your coworkers are calling you Uptight", 1 day ago.
jazztonish received the quiz result of "ESTP", 3 days ago.
Eeb1977 received the quiz result of "ISFJ", 3 days ago.