Your Life >> Browse Articles >> Fashion + Beauty

5 Professional Wardrobe Do's (and 5 Don'ts!)

5 Professional Wardrobe Do's (and 5 Don'ts!)

Photo courtesy of Eman Winston via Creative Commons

Roxanne Ravenel | Excelle

April 16, 2009

Image is everything. This is particularly true for job hunters. During a job search we meet others on job interviews, in networking situations, and out in the community. How we present ourselves will largely impact the first impression we make with them.

“We have approximately seven seconds in which we can make a good first impression,” says wardrobe stylist and freelance fashion writer, Kristen Kaleal. “That’s the amount of time it takes to shake somebody’s hand and take a seat.”

According to Kaleal, during that initial seven seconds we are being sized up. “We’re being judged on our education level, our level of sophistication, our attention to detail, how much self-confidence we have. The first impression we make is paramount to getting the job.”

With such a limited amount of time to make that all important first impression, the image we project can communicate far more than our words can. By carefully managing our image, we can greatly improve the impression we make with others. Here are five dos and five don’ts to look your best during your job search and beyond.

Next Page: Style Tip #1 >>

• Picome_max50

Xmatters

I don't think stockings look good or professional anymore, just out of date. I wear leg makeup on my legs to keep them looking nice but unless I've got stockings on because it's snowing outside, I always have my legs bare.

• 3_max50

PhoenixPhire

wow. so i'm not getting hired because i don't wear make-up nor carry a bag... how masculine of me!

• Diamond_dust_shoes_-_1980_-lilac__blue__gree_-_andy_warhol_max50

mgdalessandro

I love this type of articles specially when they pin point the negative issues, but even more when suggestions are given in what it should be the correctness in regards to the issues on hands. Like in this article, in Tip #4, you said what not to wear "kind of", but you don't clarify or specify what is approachable as a general rule, neither suggest what should be dressed as a general rule either. Because a vague concept leaves vague ideas behind.... Thanks!

lisalou

Jennifer41042 - I agree it looks cheap and unpolished...

• -pix_503_max50

metot

Nice article..Thaks for the tip:0)

• Jennifer_mitchell_04-10-10_max50

jennifer41042

All great advice. A trend was pointed out to me recently, and is reflected in the photo used in this story - when dressing in business attire young women no longer feel the need to wear stocking or pantyhose.

I'm not old by any means, but even to me this takes a look from being "polished and professional" to "not quite complete". Bare legs are not for job interviews.

I think we all want to be Carrie Bradshaw, but there are a lot of offices were her style would keep her out.

I'm curious about others opinion on this. :) I may just be really out of touch!! :)

• 11t_max50

Belc

Excellent excellent advice. I was blown away by the car advice too, I thought I was the only one who noticed a connection between the two, I'd never have believed an interviewer would follow you out..

• Picture_35_max50

clitzelman

Excellent piece. I love that you mentioned consignment & thrift stores in Style Tip #3. I think it's an option that many people overlook assuming that the clothing and accessories will be dated or smell like mothballs. But these days consignment shops are just a place to find current name-brand pieces in excellent condition at 60-80% off the original price. I think everyone should take advantage of the suggestion and google for local consignment stores.

Sunni

The thumbs down was a mistake. Sorry, I don't know how to reverse it. It was a great article. Information I will use on my next interview. So very Sorry. Great information!!

Sunni

Thank you, this was extremely valuable.

Great tips! I have an interview Monday afternoon - and it's been awhile! Thanks

• My_picture2_max50

bonnieppi

Roxanne, you hit the nail on the head! In these economically challenging, highly competitive job marketing time, the woman jobseeker cannot afford to have anything less than a polished professional image.

Thank you for sharing this with the group!

Sincerely,
    Bonnie Mahaffey
    Polished Professional Image
    Visit online at www.polishedprofessionalimage.com

This is all excellent advice, some of which I hadn't even thought of - like making sure your car is clean! We can never be too informed when it comes to women's attire in the work place, and projecting a positive image that is in line with who we are.

successfulgirl2 received the quiz result of "Drive to Be Your Best", about 11 hours ago.
Nicpolley received the quiz result of "You should Hold Steady", 1 day ago.
1417059035427_max30
maya_taylor9828 received the quiz result of "ISFJ", 1 day ago.
KristiKat15 received the quiz result of "Laidback Lover", 1 day ago.
citizenkate received the quiz result of "You are Very Introverted", 2 days ago.
sanipathak received the quiz result of "Your boss’ secret personality is The Buddy", 2 days ago.