Your Life >> Browse Articles >> Health + Wellness

Delicious Ways to Get Your Greens ... We Promise!

Delicious Ways to Get Your Greens ... We Promise!

Photo courtsey of Michelle Pfennighaus, FindYourBalanceHealth.com

Michelle Pfennighaus | Excelle

April 23, 2009

Do you know what the #1 vegetable in the American diet is? Potatoes. That’s right. And how do we most often eat potatoes? As french fries. You got it.

No wonder we as a country are overweight, sick and tired. Not to knock the potato, but there are lots of wonderful vegetables to fill our plates with that give us more nourishment and energy than french fries ever could.

Let’s talk about the vegetables we are most missing from our diets instead: dark, leafy greens. You know, the ones that wave at you from the supermarket produce section? They kind of all look the same? And they might give you terrible flashbacks to your mom’s slimy, boiled side dishes?

Thank goodness you don’t have to cook the way your mom did. Now is a great time to discover all the tasty and healthy ways you can prepare greens for you and your family in a totally non-slimy way!

There are a lot of reasons to dig into a big bowl of greens. For starters, they are full of vitamins, fiber and calcium. Did you hear that? Calcium! But wait, there’s more. Dark, leafy veggies are super low in calorie density. So you can eat a whole head of kale and not feel one ounce of remorse. (If you think I’m crazy to suggest eating that much kale, I’ll change your mind with the recipe at the end of this article.)

Finally, the reason I love to eat greens is because they are full of the sun’s uplifting energy. Leaves full of chlorophyll grow upward and absorb the sun’s energy to fuel photosynthesis. Dark leafy greens are recommended for respiratory health because of their unique function in the plant world.

My clients always tell me that they simply don’t know how to prepare greens. Here are some ways you can experiment with more sunshine-y greens into your diet.

Next Page: 4 Tips + Recipe!

House, I am totally going to try that. Cuz I don't know what I did or didn't do but they came out nasty when I tried cooking them!!!
    I'll let ya know how it works out.
    If we have greens I just cut them into strips with cabbage and green apples and steam them together. It is soooo good.The apples give it a good kick.

• Photo_040908_001_max50

Houseonahill

JE ~ LOL, I poured 2 tblsp applecider vinegar, sea salt and pepper to taste, and season salt if you really want a kick. I chopped kale to finger size, spread on a pizza pan and baked...SO good...13 yr old picky one ate them right up!!!

AND tonight had left over fried pineapple rice from Chinese food...sauteed in coconut oil...tofutti sour cream and fresh chives and wrapped in a fresh collard leaf!!!! Michelle...i have a batch of oatmeal breakfast cookies baking...gotta run!!!!!!

You are the bomb guys...hugs!

• Grand_max50

MPfennighaus

You know, on occassion I've had an old head of kale or haven't used enough oil and they don't come out well. But usually they are great! Houseonahill had super success, maybe she can tell us how she did it?

You know I tried that Kale chip recipe...and I don't know what I did but it came out just gross.
    Is there anyother way to make them taste better then baking them?

• Copy_of_kerry_pic_2_max50

kerrysnetwork

Yumm!

• 11t_max50

Belc

I think that with more things like these i may succeed in becoming a vegetarian..

• Photo_040908_001_max50

Houseonahill

When you mentioned you took these to a meeting or something, I was thinking, I hope she shares! THANKS, had a bushel of kale in my fridge that I made soup with some of and rest had no idea! "Boy" will thank you ~ sounds YUM!

slnorman32 received the quiz result of "You should Set a Date", about 3 hours ago.
ammond1 received the quiz result of "ISFJ", about 7 hours ago.
pinapina received the quiz result of "You should Get Excited", about 9 hours ago.
jjose8842 commented on: "Are Stay-at-Home Moms Regretting Their Choices?", about 9 hours ago.
Gfmwelter received the quiz result of "ESTJ", about 13 hours ago.
ajb1023 received the quiz result of "ESTP", 1 day ago.
shawn12211 received the quiz result of "ENFJ", 1 day ago.
molly27 received the quiz result of "You are Very Introverted", 1 day ago.