Your Life >> Browse Articles >> Work-Life Balance

25 Best U.S. Vacation Cities On the Cheap

Kayla Baxter, Alice Handley and Jill Hare | Excelle

June 11, 2009

indemand

Gearing up for your summer vacation, but aren’t sure which direction to go? When it comes to vacationing in the U.S., you’ve got 50 states full of unique travel destinations.

So which city is the best travel destination?

We’ve rated 25 cities for vacationing by examining what each has to offer: culture, food, travel expenses and more!

Our criteria:

• Lowest average price of gas in each city and the average airfare to and from each airport

• Lowest hotel costs in each city

• Finally, we made sure each city had as much to offer as possible. Local insiders and fellow travelers rated each city based on culture, shopping, food and nightlife.

Lastly, we added an off-the-beaten-path “Don’t Miss” location for the explorer in you.

Next Page: City #25

daiseypitbull

i just spent a week in Boston and although very beautiful, I would not class it as cheap. I would recommend that you purchase GO BOSTON cards, that give you a huge savings on many of the areas sites, we purchased a 2 day card and when we figured out the cost of each item that we wanted to do, and what we paid for the card 144.00 for 2 people for 2 days we figure we saved about 150.00 hotels and motels are very expensive in boston, would recommend that if you have a car, that you look outside the city

• Profile_max50

cjvideopro

I live in Atlanta and absolutely love it. There are SO MANY things to see and do, that it would be hard to fit everything into a short little blurb. I agree with the sites on the list, and I've rafted on the Chattahoochee with "Shoot the Hooch" and it was really fun. Here are some other great spots in the "A":

*The Fabulous Fox Theatre
    *The Atlanta Zoo
    *The High Art Museum
    *Underground Atlanta
    *Piedmont Park
    *Oakland Cemetery
    *CNN Center
    *If you're in town during Labor Day -- Dragon*Con (dragoncon.org)

I was also glad that New Orleans made this list, as it is one of my absolute favorite cities to visit. I have also been wanting to venture out west, and I've been considering checking out Phoenix. Now it is definitely on my list!

BettyKlym

Hmmmm....Boston, San Francisco, Hawaii listed as cheap vacations. I've been there and they are not inexpensive places to travel. In fact they are probably several of the most expensive places in this country. Other choices would be great like Montana, Arizona, Oregon, Washington St., New Mexico, Texas, South Carolina etc.

Thanks a lot for this review, I will be in the US next week and I really needed some sightseeing advice!
    Moreover, the city I am living in (Orlando, FL) is in the top 10!

moura87

Free stuff to do in Boston:
    Freedom Trail, which will take you an entire day to see.
    Sam Adams Brewery, free tasting included.
    During the summer there are free concerts and movies along the emerald necklace.
    Window Shopping on Newbury.
    And, if you are looking for a Charles River tour of the city, take the train to Lechmere, and then walk to the Cambridge Side Galleria. There a small boat you can take there, and it takes you farther down the Charles than the famous Duck Tours! Plus, it's a LOT cheaper.

DeHon

Boston ? DC? for cheap vacations? That made me laugh! (And I've been to both as well as Dallas, Nashville and San Diego) However, as Teddy Kennedy is offering his "writing" of healthcare plan - it was just such a plan that broke the financial back of Massachusetts.... no kidding. So, it's probably going to be 'cheap' for awhile. As well as most other cities...

hpbayne

Interesting articles - I would have thought that New York would make the list. There are inexpensive places to stay, lots to do without having to pay, incredible food and entertainment.

As a resident of Dallas, TX, I appreciate that it falls as #6 on the list. However one correction: the warehouse district which houses Club Clearview and Trees is called Deep Ellum (not Deep Elm)

• Franphoto_max50

FranLytle

I've had the opportunity to visit Nashville twice in the past year for speaking engagements. Both times, I spoke at Gospel Music Week, mentoring Christian Radio Stations how to develop marketing initiatives that connect with women . . . since 80% of their listeners are women. Unfortunately, I didn't have as much time as I would have liked to be a tourist. But the time I did have convinced me it's a great getaway. It's definitely on the top of my list for a vacation . . . the food, the music, the people . . . a fun place.

I'm not sure how Maui qualifies as a cheap US vacation...
    Portland and Seattle are both dear to my heart, though.
    And I am lucky enough to live next door to DC, with tons of free stuff to see and do every day of the year!

• Superwoman_max50

Excelle_Editor

San Diego is, hands down, one of my favorite places to vacation in the whole country. Highly recommend it!

chaseschroeder received the quiz result of "You are Pretty Ethical", about 12 hours ago.
carleyanderson1 received the quiz result of "You are Pretty Ethical", about 12 hours ago.
gasca received the quiz result of "You are Very Ethical", about 12 hours ago.
mad8248 received the quiz result of "You are Very Ethical", about 12 hours ago.
hahahaloser received the quiz result of "You are Very Ethical", about 12 hours ago.
masonnantz received the quiz result of "You are Very Ethical", about 12 hours ago.
mckalaridenour received the quiz result of "You are Very Ethical", about 12 hours ago.
syd_ter received the quiz result of "You are Very Ethical", about 12 hours ago.
Image_max30
Ch0c0muffin1 received the quiz result of "Steady Supporter", about 15 hours ago.