Premium content is for Excelle members only. To continue reading, please sign in or create an account — it's free and takes less than a minute!

Your Life >> Browse Articles >> Health + Wellness

Your Life >> Browse Articles >> Work-Life Balance

9 Ways to Wake Up Earlier

35 Comments

Some of us are night owls. Others, early birds.

Apparently, based on your chronotype, you will be more naturally alert earlier or later in the day. And your type may dictate when and for how long ...

Liked this article. I did not know about the Phillips light and would be very interested in getting one. I also did not know the 90-minute rule.

Norah11

I love this article. I will try easing into waking up earlier like it suggested. I was thinking that it would be nice to get up to go to a Yoga class. When I check the schedule at the local gym Yoga doesn't start until 9:30 am! *sigh* so much for early morning Yoga.

• Twitterav_max50

pamjarnagin

Oh! 4got to ask: what about napping? A definite no-no, or recommended?

• Twitterav_max50

pamjarnagin

Great article, just in time for my new job which starts Mon, 5/2/11!

pinkfluff

I've found this one, having a good reason to get up, to be very important. I got up at 0200 no problem once when I had an early flight to a job interview, but often find it hard to get up at 8 if I don't really have anything to do.

• Deb_small_max50

deborahv23

I love coffee

• Photo_on_2010-10-04_at_15

britt_arvinia

This goes really well with the "Ways to Wake Refreshed" article actually, thanks for this. :)

mandyjune

i have SUCH a hard time waking up! This should help! :)

Bank Savings Account

lili08

Thanks for sharing your feedback! If your feedback doesn't appear right away, please be patient as it may take a few minutes to publish - or longer if the blogger is moderating comments.
    Our website is http://www.fashionsports.org
    We also sell a variety of brand-name items: The following is our best-selling items.

• Profile_max50

cjvideopro

I have always been a night owl. Even when I was a kid I liked to stay up late and sleep late. I didn't care about the Saturday morning cartoons or waking up first thing on Christmas morning to see what Santa brought me. This is obviously who I am, and I don't think there is too much I can do to change it.

I've also discovered that I need 8 hours of sleep to feel fully rested. During the work week, I generally get 7 hours a night, and I'll sleep about 10 hours a night on Friday and Saturday nights.

One tip I did get from this article confirms something I recently discovered for myself: I should sleep when I'm tired. When I'm out of my exercise routine, I'll get home from work, and after I've eaten dinner and watched some TV, I"ll start to pass out. Most of the time, I'll force myself to wake up and then will have trouble falling asleep when it is bedtime. I'm trying to get better and just going straight to bed when this happens, although when I exercise immediately after returning home from work, I don't seem to have this problem.

I am surprised that this article didn't mention anything about exercise and having a healthy diet. All of that affects sleep schedule as well.

Finally, I've noticed more and more companies acknowledging that people function differently. At my husband's workplace, each employee sets their own hours, within reason. They understand that some people are more productive at 8am, while others might not be alert until 10 or 11am. At my office, since we are in a creative atmosphere, we work 10am until 7pm. While sometimes it is a pain to get off work so late, I do enjoy sleeping until at least 9am every day.

Desert_Splash

Do you have any advice for shift workers who have to work 2nd shift three days a week and then transition to 1st shift?

• Dscn1467_2_max50

llbrowning

I look forward to trying the 90min interval counting to help my early wake ups and late nights. Hopefully I will be able to share my findings in a few days.

• Diamond_dust_shoes_-_1980_-lilac__blue__gree_-_andy_warhol_max50

mgdalessandro

Tania, I disagree with your statement here. I have read scientific studies that contradict your introduction, about that the most successful people are early risers. On the contrary scientist have proved that the most intelligent and successful people are night owls and that morning people usually age faster and are more prone to health problems and all kind of diseases. Many Successful CEOs are night owls, they get up early because they have to, no because of choice and I know few of them really successful and you will never see them arriving to their office before 10:00 AM. John Travolta, to use somebody independent and already known by all of us, he is a night owl, he spend most of his nights up, and not one can deny his success, beside him I know many writers, scientist, attorneys, doctors, artist (the real kind), ministers, etc, who are night owls and I'm privilege to say, that the are all very smart people. Just for future references check your facts next time, because some of us keep ourselves updated.
    And one rhetoric question as a food for thought? Don't you think, that the same way nature wakes-up at different times and hours of the day and night, it is because it has different times for different functions and purposes, and maybe that's the same reason why we all have different Circadian Rhythms in life..... for different functions and purposes?? Maybe your article shouldn't be about how to Wake-Up Earlier, but how to Make The Best of your "Circadian Rhythms", helping us to make the best of who we are, not to change the core of who we are, because it didn't occur to you that it's maybe an embedded behavior.....???

mbholman

The link to Phillips alarm clock does not work. Please edit and repost!

• Lynds_max50

rushbomb

Love this article. I'm a night owl trying desperately to turn myself into an early bird. Harvard just did a study that proved that early birds do in fact get the worm so....I'm gonna use these tips and get after it! I also have loved the iphone app "sleep cycle" that tracks your REM sleep to wake you up at the right time in the morning. It's a fascinating study of sleep pattern! Thanks Tania this was great!

Me_max30
ambrj1981 received the quiz result of "ESTJ", 25 minutes ago.
crystaldenson received the quiz result of "You’re a Regular Cup of Joe:", about 7 hours ago.
Thebigcock received the quiz result of "ESTJ", about 12 hours ago.
JohnR commented on: "Are Stay-at-Home Moms Regretting Their Choices?", about 15 hours ago.
104b_max30
gamma created the group "Cheap Jordan Shoes ", about 16 hours ago.
yegdth received the quiz result of "ESTJ", about 17 hours ago.
newbie123 received the quiz result of "ESTJ", about 19 hours ago.
adele_718 received the quiz result of "Magnificent at Midnight", about 19 hours ago.
adele_718 received the quiz result of "Doing My Own Thing", about 19 hours ago.