Your Life >> Browse Articles >> Fashion + Beauty

The Warning Signs of Frumpiness

The Warning Signs of Frumpiness

Glam Gals | FabulousAfter40.com

August 14, 2009

Do you look in the mirror and feel like a frump because you know that you’ve let yourself go? Trying to pinpoint exactly what it is that’s making you look so old, so you can finally do something about it? Then read on to discover some sure signs that you’re looking a bit on the frumpy side:

1. You look like you are wearing a tent.

Want to hide that midlife flab? Then don’t cover up! Baggy clothes that hide your entire body make you look old and matronly. Show off the parts of your body you do like (for example, your bust) and cover up only the parts you don’t (perhaps it’s your hips). Don’t use oversized clothes as a gigantic blanket to hide behind. (Just say no to the muumuu, or anything that resembles it!) Switch to more fitted clothing that is not tight but skims your curves and shows off you do have some shape.

2. Your teeth as yellow as corn.

Stained or yellow teeth are a telltale sign of age despite how great you may look otherwise. But if you flash a set of shiny white teeth, you can easily knock ten years off your look. Plus, these days it’s super easy to restore this kind of sex appeal thanks to at-home whiteners or dentist laser treatments.

3. Your glasses make you look geeky.

Still wearing those hokey glasses you bought ten years ago? Time for an update. The trend now? Buy at least two pairs — one that is dressy and one that is casual and fun. Switch them around to look modern and fashionable. Be sure to take a stylish friend along with you when you make your choice. It’s easy to get stuck in an eyeglass rut and end up buying more or less the same thing you had before.

4. Your breasts are headed south.

If your breasts are heading south, it’s time to perk them up with a supportive bra. Hike up the gals so that they sit halfway between your shoulder and your elbow, and you’ll start looking even more vibrant and sexy!

5. You have scary lips.

Halloween is over! If you are starting to look like Cruella Deville, ditch the dark corpse-like lips, which are too strong a contrast to aging skin and hair, and try wearing soft natural shades of lipstick in pinks and peaches. And as for those boldly lined lips that make you look like a vampire — when were those ever in? When you walk in a room, you want people to think how beautiful your face looks, not how hideous your lips look.

© 2009, Boland-Tyler Productions. All rights reserved.

Don’t miss these fashion reads!
25 Things a Professional Woman Should Never Wear
Top 7 Ways to Dress Well on a Budget

What else is hot on Excelle?
The Professional Woman’s Guide to Dating
15 Toughest Interview Questions (and Answers!)
Top 25 Cities for Your Career

• Gradpic_max50

MattieJalonack

A little mean don't you think? isn't there a better way to talk about taking care of yourself as to not appear non professional or raggedy?

aworkinggirl

All of your advice was right on until the very last one. I'm African American and would look RIDICULOUS wearing pink lipstick.

DaisyS

I see this all the time. Women need to look in magazines and take the time to work on themselves. If your face still looks young, with no wrinkles, you can still wear your hair long to your shoulders. Try to do home facials, use oil of olay moisterizer. I am giving you pointers if you don't have a lot of money. Use lite makeup so you look fresh and please go to a good salon and get a color for your hair that matches your skin.

You also have to stay in shape, slim down and walk at least 2 mls a day. There is no need for people to look the way they do. I will be 53 yrs old in October, I feel 35 and most people say I love 40. However, I enjoy looking like a model, since I was a model when I was young.

• Me_with_makeup_on_004_max50

sysmith87

This advise was so funny and true Thanks !!!I like the corn teeth!

yellow as corn?

andy

Thanks for the great tips.

Love it!

Good ideas! I also think it is important to keep your nails clean. Manicured is great, but even a quick file and clear gloss can do wonders.

mvaz

Honest, and funny

• M_c0c51b28de9c45cea026fafed0904718_max50

DemonicButterfly

I totally agree with you nyloe. I have always always worn my hair long, and I do mean long, to the butt long. I always kept it trimmed up, and I have been blessed with enough natural curl that it is just a nice wavy shape. However.. My daughters have nagged me for the past few years to do something different, anyone with naggy daughters know how this can wear at you. At anyrate I had a couple glasses of wine, handed the scissors to my youngest, she pulled it back in a low pony tail and WHACK SOB no more hair. Actually my hair grazes my shoulders now, and even a few people at work that dont particularly care for me told me that it knocked at least 10 years off my age. Now I have to live with the "I told you so". Nothing worse than a smart assed child that is right.

• Ycadi8mnfca4cwsj1ca3zi67ocabp2ab9cauojme0ca0ffpg5ca7hk6vuca0t5m14cawu18f4cagr2wgycagp8eryca8oyq8ecav18xh6ca6k4tblcad8ffwyca15x3dqca2tbllcca9bui8jcardrjm9_max50

nyloe

Loved the article! Another thing you can do to look less frumpy is to update your hair. I used to wear longer hair and not keep my color fresh. When my cousin and I went to the bank one day, the teller asked my cousin (who is 7 years younger than me!) if I was her mother. So I went to the salon and had my hair colored and cut shorter. Now I get lots of compliments on how great my hair looks, and how much younger I look.

JessW received the quiz result of "ISTJ", about 2 hours ago.
bea1201 received the quiz result of "C+ in Grammar ", about 3 hours ago.
aliharajli20 received the quiz result of "You are Somewhat Introverted", about 3 hours ago.
andreschantal commented on: "Are Stay-at-Home Moms Regretting Their Choices?", about 11 hours ago.
tuowl36 received the quiz result of "INFJ", about 17 hours ago.
sandylynn received the quiz result of "Ambassador", about 24 hours ago.
paranoiagirlfriend received the quiz result of "Steady Supporter", 1 day ago.
lsmith received the quiz result of "Amorous Adventurer", 1 day ago.