Your Life >> Browse Articles >> Fashion + Beauty

Your Life >> Browse Articles >> Health + Wellness

Detox on a Dime

Detox on a Dime

Michelle Pfennighaus | Excelle

August 28, 2009

Even though I’m not headed back to school, the end of summer always makes me itch for new clothes and freshly sharpened pencils. What about you? Could you use a fresh start? Maybe a little detox from summer BBQs and vacation food? The change of season is a perfect time!

So, what does it mean to “detox” exactly? What are these “toxins” that we need to get rid of anyway?

Some toxins come from our diet, like pesticides on food. Others are from lotions or household cleaners that touch our skin. Still others are from car fumes, prescription drug residues or cigarettes.

Detoxification is a natural process our body uses to stay clean on the inside. But sometimes our system gets backed up. There are lots of boxed kits and fancy detoxification methods out there. Before you spend big bucks, help yourself detox naturally with these 7 tips:

Dine before nine

Imagine the janitor trying to sweep and mop while the kids are still in school. It doesn’t work — he has to come back later when school is empty. The same is true for your digestive system. If you eat late at night and go to sleep, your body cannot perform it’s natural overnight clean-up. It’s too busy digesting dinner! Try to leave 2-3 hours between eating and sleeping, and your body will take care of the rest.

Meatless Mondays

You don’t need to become a vegetarian to enjoy the benefits of less meat in your diet. Since meat is harder to break down than veggies, it tends to stick around longer in your system. Try to go meatless one day of the week, and see how you feel.

Next Page: 5 More Tips! →

lamikayty

Really good advise...the only one I've not gotten round to accomplishing is changing my lotion!!! I just got myself some virgin coconut oil this week...so maybe I'll start then...Started a new lifestyle , diet change this year and I feel so good! I remember eating heavy meals before and almost instantly dropping off to sleep, realised only yesterday after a heavy meal that I was wide wide awake... and for hours after that! Praise God!
    Nice article!!!

mizodum

Amen! I really enjoyed reading this ! Thanks B <3

Great stuff, Michelle! I always love your articles! And I like the lotion advice.

• _cid__0702091617_max50

michellej73

i loved this article. i have been wanting to detox for a while now and was never sure how to do it. Michelle gave great information.

• Hpim1902_max50

kbtordai

To AnnMP and the previously posted comment with link. I read the article from your link and I think maybe you need to read it again and read this article again. No where here does it mention cutting out any food groups or make promises with detox kits.

teslacuna

nice article...i will toxify...thanks for sharing this ...

• Profilebb_max50

ncrimaldi

Great article! I've been wanting to do a detox or cleanse of sorts but there are so many confusing products out there. I'm glad to know I can do this naturally!

Noffke

Michelle Pfennighaus you did a good job in this aritcles i take inspiration form that article for make delicious food.

Resveratrol Ultra

• Denywebshot_max50

DeniseReed

Michelle---you have really nailed my food problem, this article is very tightly written, no fluff. My husband and I have just made the decision to do better with our eating habit, and this article is great food for thought. I'm printing it out so he can read it, (he is the main cook/chef in our household). We are both committed to taking better care of ourselves and this insightful article offers inspiration and simple but effective measures we can easily handle. Great article. Denise

• Superwoman_max50

Excelle_Editor

I think this might be one of my favorites of Michelle's so far! So clear. So straight to the point. And so realistic in terms of being able to follow through and do it ourselves!

• Hpim1902_max50

kbtordai

Great article Michelle! Amazing as always! We love you here!

Itzy received the quiz result of "Breakfast in Bed", about 1 hour ago.
p3arze gave a thumbs up to The Quiz "Career Personality Test", 1 day ago.
p3arze received the quiz result of "Laidback Lover", 1 day ago.
nyc11211 received the quiz result of "Your cover letter IQ is High", 1 day ago.
p3arze received the quiz result of "You are Somewhat Introverted", 1 day ago.
p3arze received the quiz result of "Natural Leader", 1 day ago.
ameryste received the quiz result of "You are Very Introverted", 1 day ago.
Rahma received the quiz result of "Steady Supporter", 1 day ago.
p3arze received the quiz result of "ISTJ", 2 days ago.