Your Life >> Browse Articles >> Sex + Relationships

9 Things You Shouldn't Share With Your Girlfriends

9 Things You Shouldn't Share With Your Girlfriends

Lyndsay Rush

January 12, 2010

I know what you’re thinking.

In a greedy, self-obsessed world, why do we need an article that advises against sharing? And with your girlfriends for that matter?! What kind of monster would write such a thing?

Allow me to explain.

First of all, let me say this: I value friendship. In fact I think it is beautiful and essential and joyous and delicious.

But it also takes work. As all relationships do.

So sometimes, you have to brainstorm ways to make your friendships run more smoothly. One of those strategies is to know what to share with your friends. And believe it or not, one of them is to know what not to share with them.

Still not convinced? Give me a few minutes of your time and I think you’ll come around.

Here are nine things not to share
with your girlfriends:

1. Ex-Boyfriends

A big fat “DUH” better have escaped from your lips when you read this, but it merits mention on this list. For your close, “sisterhood of the traveling pants” gaggle of girlfriends, this is one thing that will NEVER work out well. Let’s face it, unless you are a woman who considers “exes” guys you’ve had two or three dinners with, keep your ex boyfriends where they belong: trolling the streets wondering why they let you go. Oh and nowhere near any of your dear friends.

2. Perfume

Sound silly? Think again. I recall the ‘Great Perfume Debacle of 2002’ when Jess bought the same perfume as Briana. What’s worse, Bri had worn this same perfume for like five years or something. It was her signature scent, a part of her identity almost. You obviously can’t stop anyone from buying your perfume, but for the sake of your individuality, try and keep your scent to yourself. You’ll be glad you did.

Drugs & Envy →

avande1882

I think this article is kind of silly. Although I agree with "vintagevision" about the one thing you should not discuss with friends is politics. It is best left to yourself, but as far as the majority of this article it is just kind of silly. True friends dont take advantage of one another. Dont use them for their time, posessions, etc...I believe this article really highlights the difference in value of friendship for many. For those I consider my closest friends, no matter where I am, or where they are...if they need anything from me, I know they are coming to me because they need i, and if I go to them it is because I need them. Not because they are using me or taking advantage of me. Of course medication and things of that nature are not safe to share with anyone, but how can you call people your friends if you feel they are trying to spread negativity? If something crappy is going on in my life or theirs, we seek each other out first! We are here for each other to listen, to heal, to cope...to whatever! The intent isnt to "spread negativity" and if someone thought that, they certainly arent a valued friend. I find this article kind of disappointing. It really is a reflection on what friendship means to many nowadays.

This explains why my best friend truly is my best friend, because we follow these rules!

• Profilepic2_max50

TaniaK

Too true. I find that when I'm around negative people, they pull me down instead of the other way around. Great article Lyndsay!

• Abby___carrie_003_max50

cal0033

Excellent- especially sharing bad habits. When my workout partner went through a bad spell, we ended up being eating partners... not a good thing!

I agree with jess that we should dump our problems on another. It's to have support from our friends, it's another thing to dump problems on them.

Another topic you should never discuss with your friends is politics. You may have many things in common, but political views are best kept to yourself. Sometimes these ideas can make or break an otherwise perfect relationship.

The negativity point is SUCH a good one. Too many people think having a "shoulder to cry on" means having a dumping ground. I've reached a point with certain friends where I just can't take the non-stop self-pity party anymore and had to cut my ties.

alisajohn commented on: "Are Stay-at-Home Moms Regretting Their Choices?", about 5 hours ago.
daniraexx received the quiz result of "You should Set a Date", about 7 hours ago.
29413_1272688418942_1281844965_30666187_853635_n_max30
lcipriano joined the group "Creative Expressions", about 9 hours ago.
29413_1272688418942_1281844965_30666187_853635_n_max30
lcipriano joined the group "Empowered at Work", about 9 hours ago.
29413_1272688418942_1281844965_30666187_853635_n_max30
lcipriano joined the group "Women of Emotional Intelligence", about 9 hours ago.
29413_1272688418942_1281844965_30666187_853635_n_max30
lcipriano joined the group "Toastmasters", about 9 hours ago.
martinsmm received the quiz result of "Amorous Adventurer", about 13 hours ago.
babystarloves420 received the quiz result of "Laidback Lover", about 17 hours ago.