4 Obstacles Women Still Face in the Workplace

Hamsa Ramesha | Excelle

March 02, 2010

Istock_000005052080xsmall_max200w

Climbing up the corporate ladder is still a challenge women face.

We’re not even two months into the new decade and already a number of studies have jumped up to point out how far women have come in the workplace.

For example:

Wives earn more than their husbands, and more U.S. women than men actually have jobs.

But despite these significant milestones, a few key obstacles remain — particularly in the workplace. Research proves that the pay gap widens when salaries breach the $100,000 mark, meaning that the few women who are at the top of the corporate ladder are still getting paid less than their male counterparts.

Yes, women have come a long way, but these key challenges remain:

1. Maternity Leave
2. Leadership Roles
3. Sexual Harassment
4. The Glass Ceiling

Next: BABY MAMA >>

tcook23

Great read. Depending up the perspective you take, I could see it either way. Thanks for the insights.
    divorce lawyers indianapolis

tcook23

I would have to say leadership roles is the biggest thing in our office. Women are kind of laid back and reserved about anything that has major impact. It's kind of sad and uncomfortable.
    Luxury Sheets

I agree with this final note b/c I worked 5 years in a company and my opinion was NEVER more important than the male manager's. I'm looking for women who can help advise me in how to overcome this frustration! I'm a hard worker and very intelligent/competent but I feel like I hit the glass ceiling every time I crossed what one the male manager wanted (my boss was a man as well-suprise). Let me know if there is anyone who can help out there. Best wishes to all you career women trying to make a go it in this male dominated world!

I work currently as a Certified Medical Assistant, and although men working this career is heard of, it is occupied much more by women. I can bet, even though there are few men, a man would make more than I would for doing the exact same job, and this needs to stop!

As far as sexual harassment, women are afraid to come forward due to the fact that we are already at a disadvantage, and most men who do the harassing are well aware of this - or they would not do it in the first place. It is time that the red tape gets cut and these so-called men suffer a much more severe punishment. On the other hand, sometimes we as women need to fight a little harder and a little dirtier - you know, like men!

I really liked the statistic about the recession, that more men have lost their jobs than women - but is that really a good thing? I'm thinking - companies had to make cut backs, so the higher paid employees - men - more likely to lose their jobs. 1. Because they make more than us and 2. Because they can hire women to fill these positions and it will cost them less in wages. Hmmm...food for thought ladies....I feel that women are smarter and much harder workers than men, and employers love the fact that they can work us more for less!

Many of the "pink collar" jobs have lower pay averages - this could play a significant role in holding us back overall from matching our male counterparts in pay. I was glad to hear that the gap is being bridged - although we still have quite a ways to go!

10712944_10152627867846480_6210128043052287522_n_max30
johnsondal commented on: "Are Stay-at-Home Moms Regretting Their Choices?", about 1 hour ago.
kberas received the quiz result of "You should Take a Break", about 9 hours ago.
Jessy commented on: "13 Types of Bosses and How to Make Them Love You", about 9 hours ago.
coach22 commented on: "Ladies, It's Not Bragging. It's Self-Promoting", about 10 hours ago.
coach22 commented on: "Overcome Stereotypes", about 10 hours ago.
brwnpaprbg received the quiz result of "A+ at Grammar!", about 17 hours ago.
andreschantal commented on: "Are Stay-at-Home Moms Regretting Their Choices?", about 23 hours ago.
godess received the quiz result of "Romantic Realist", 1 day ago.